Hiking the Ice Age Trail Hemlock Creek Segment

overcast sky wetland autumn colored trees at edge

The Hemlock Creek Segment of the Ice Age National Trail is a 7-mile footpath in Barron and Rusk counties in Wisconsin. It is easy to navigate and hike, with wide, well-marked trails and a few long, steep hills between calm terrain.

The Hemlock Creek Segment is easy to access, with three spacious parking lots and access trails. The east trailhead is located at Murphy Flowage Recreational Area, where the trail is served with restrooms, potable water stations, picnic shelters, and a drive-in campground.

Primitive camping is allowed anywhere in the Barron County Forest, which covers most of this section - from Hemlock Creek to the South and Pigeon Creek to the North. Rusk County provides a designated space for free camping called remote campsite 6, simply the end of a forest road where one might set up a camp.

The scenery on this trail includes abundant wetlands, deciduous forests, and panoramic wilderness views along Hemlock Creek.

share this article

{tocify} $title={Table of Contents}

$ads={1}
advertisement

Creek through dense autumn colored leaves
Hemlock Creek




The Hemlock Creek Segment is the first and only trail I have bike shuttled. I had set aside four days in late September to camp at Murphy Flowage and hike the Hemlock Creek and Blue Hills Segments. My tent and screen tent were staked and guyed as well as I could manage in the sand and gravel camp pad (clearly excavated for an RV and not tent camping). Notwithstanding the chunky gravel bottom, the site was perched on a round hill above the flowage and beneath white pines and held a scenic view while also being a site that should have drained well in torrential rain.

After setting up camp, I jumped on my mountain bike and headed down Bolger Road to the Finhorn Road trailhead for the Hemlock Creek Segment. The ride out was fun and I enjoyed the rolling hills of fresh black top paved road that twisted and turned through the woods, but it took longer than expected—a full hour of biking. This would certainly add to my calorie expenditure for the day, but it was preferable to out-and-back hiking 14-miles.

I had noted the need to bring rain gear on the hike, as the forecast was confused, with a 50% chance of light rain. So, I dug into my backpack as the sky opened up into a torrential downpour on my first steps on the trail—I hadn’t even made the footbridge over Pigeon Creek before the rain fell. I had not packed my rain gear. There I stood like a towel soaking up every drop.

I knew I was in for a wet hike. I picked up the pace of my hike to keep warm with my body heat. The upside of being rained on is that soaked clothing is a very good insulator—so long as it remains soaked, which wasn’t going to be an issue.

The torrential rain moderated into light rain. The changing autumn leaves crackled in reds and gold against the gray sky, and the wetness magnified the forest's color.

I beat a rapid pace and only spent a little bit of time enjoying the sights and sounds of this trail segment. I recall considering a sign marking Fire Hole Valley, the site of a devastating 1898 wildfire.

By the time I reached the Murphy Flowage Recreational Area, I was thoroughly enjoying hiking and unconcerned with being wet. I spent another hour completing the segment, taking the white-blazed Hemlock Creek Loop trail, and even scouting the Rusk Remote Camp Site 6.

The Hemlock Creek Loop trail is a worthy diversion. It descends to the creek edge and crosses a bridge before climbing a few hills to outstanding vista views.

I was hoping for more from Rusk Remote Camp Site 6. I was considering moving my camp down to it if the view was scenic, a wilderness experience would have suited me at the time. Sadly, the site is little more than the remains of a fire ring at the end of a primitive road. If you choose this site, hammock camping will be the best bet, as there is not a flat spot for a tent anywhere nearby.

Overall, and even despite the rain I endured, the Hemlock Creek Segment is a standout among Ice Age Trail segments. Its incredible scenery, relatively easy hiking, and the amenities at Murphy Flowage combine to make this an excellent idea for a day hike.

After completing the full segment and returning by car to retrieve my bike I was ready for a hearty meal over a roaring fire at my campsite. Instead, I was forced by a fierce thunderstorm to eat uncooked snacks on the floor of my tent. The storm winds blew down my screen tent several times, and I didn’t get a minute of sleep as the pouring rain found holes in the seams of my 35-year-old Eureka tent. It was the tent I had received as my 10th birthday gift and the tent I’ve used for all my car camping trips ever since. Sadly, this was its last expedition. By 5am I had already reserved an Airbnb for the rest of my long weekend. I committed to purchasing a new palace tent before the next camping season. The rain would not let up for the next 4 days.

footpath through geen and gold leaves
Most of this segment is single track through hardwood forest



Ice Age National Scenic Trail Hemlock Creek Segment


COUNTY
BARRON, RUSK
COMMUNITIES
BIRCHWOOD, WILSON, WILKINSON
TOTAL MILES
3.5-MILES POINT-TO-POINT
DIFFICULTY
MODERATE
LOWEST ELEVATION
1300AMSL
HIGHEST ELEVATION
1500 AMSL
TOTAL ELEVATION GAIN
600 FT

NEXT IAT SEGMENT EASTBOUND
IAT NORTHERN BLUE HILLS SEGMENT
NEXT NCT SECTION WESTBOUND
IAT BEAR LAKE SEGMENT



Directions and Trail Map



If viewing on a mobile device, open the trail map above to load into Google Maps App by touching the expand rectangle in the upper right corner.

Address for your GPS: N 7930 County Rd F, Birchwood, WI 54817
| coordinates: 46.34055115571312, -91.23820071838573 |

From Milwaukee 4.5 Hours
From Madison 4 Hours
From Green Bay 4 Hours
From Wausau 2.5 Hours
From Minneapolis 2 Hours
From Chicago 6 Hours



Photos


meandering flat water surrounded by trees
Murphy Flowage near the Hemlock Creek Segment fo t the Ice Age Trail
The Northwestern trailhead for the Hemlock Creek Segment of the Ice Age Trail
Pgieon Creek Crossing on the Hemlock Creek Segment of the Ice Age Trail
The Old Rookery on the Hemlock Creek Segment of the Ice Age Trail
Wetland view on the Hemlock Creek Segment of the Ice Age Trail

Marker for Firehole Valley
A Parking Lot midway on Bolger Road - midway on the Hemlock Creek Segment
The Parking Lot at Murphy Flowage Recreational Area
A picnic shelter and worthy storm shelter on the Hemlock Creek Segment of the Ice Age Trail
A water pump station at Murphy Flowage
Hemlock Creek
Hemlock Creek
A bridge crossing Hemlock Creek
Hemlock Creek from the Ice Age Trail Hemlock Creek Segment
Hemlock Creek from the Hemlock Creek Loop Trail
Trail Intersection
Hemlock Creek from the Hemlock Creek Loop Trail
Hemlock Creek Loop Trail
The Southeast trailhead for the Ice Age Trail Hemlock Creek Segment
A sign marking Rusk County Remote Campsite 6
The Ice Age Trail along West Buck Lake Road
Rusk County Remote Campsite 6
Rusk Remote Campsite 6



Previous Post Next Post